In this article, we will learn how to install Kali Linux on a PC or Laptop. Kali Linux is a Debian-based Linux distribution that is used for penetration testing, network security, and other cyber-security research. It comes with pre-install tools which are used in this field. So here we will explain every step which is followed when we install Kali Linux.
- A minimum of 20GB disk space for the installation.
- Minimum 1GB RAM (DDR3), Recommended or more.
- CD-DVD Drive or USB boot support.
Kali Linux Installation:
Download Kali Linux 2022.3
So, first of all, we have to visit the official website of Kali Linux to download the latest version of Kali Linux, because from time to time Kali Linux releases new and major updates.
You can download any version from here according to our hardware. If you are using 64-Bit or 32-Bit architecture. I am using Kali Linux 64-Bit image.
Make Bootable USB Drive
After downloading the Kali Linux ISO image we have to make a bootable device, it could be a DVD or a USB drive. We can make a bootable USB device. How to make bootable USB Drive Click Here.
Kali Linux Installation Procedure
So, first of all, we have to boot our USB drive into the system. Using your system function Key you have to make the first boot device your booting media. After that, you get the Kali Linux Boot screen. Choose one option from here Graphical install or Install (Text Mode). In this article, we choose the Graphical install.
Now select your preferred language. The select language will be used for your setup process as well as your default language after installation.
Select Your Location
And here you have to select your location. It will set your time zone. Normally you have o choose your country where you live.
Configure the Keyboard
Next step, you have to set your keyboard layout here.
- Now you have to configure the network settings like hostname, and hostname is a single word that identify the system in the network.
- The domain name is your internet address to the right of your hostname. You domain name ends with .com, .net, .edu, .org, etc. And if you do not want to add your domain name, just leave it empty and click on Continue
Set up users and Password
Full name for new user
A user account will be created for you with root or sudo privilege. This account is non-administrative activity. Here enter your full name.
Username for your account
Select a username for the new account. The username should start with a lower case letter, the username is case sensitive.
Set up user’s password
Set a strong password for your new user account. You have to use a 3D password for your security.
Set up your clock
Next step is select your time zone. If the desired time zone is not listed here, then you have to go back to the step “Choose language” and select the country that time zone you want.
This is the most important part of the installation in Kali Linux. If you are a beginner I suggest you use Virtual Box first then try to install Kali Linux on a PC or Laptop. But if you want to install Kali Linux there are two ways to install it.
- Guided Method
- Manual Method
If you choose guided method partitioning it will use your entire disk, you have to choose one disk where you have to install Kali Linux if you have multiple disks.
In this option, you have to create all partition on your own. Three partitions must /, /boot and swap partition.
Guided Partitioning Method
- Select your disk where you want to install Kali Linux if you have multi-pal disks. If you have only one disk it will look like that.
- Now we have to select the partitions. You can choose one of them, here I am going with the first one ‘”All files in one partition” which is recommended for new users. If you are beginners.
- This is the overview of your current partitions and their mount point. If this is done please click on Continue.
- This is the final step in the partitioning you have to select the “Yes” option and then click on Continue to save the all settings.
Here you have to select the desktop environment and the default tools because write now the only core of the system is installed. Select your favorite desktop environment and click on Continue.
Install the GRUB
- Now you have to install the GRUB boot loader to your primary drive. Select the Yes option here and click on Continue.
- Here you have to select the device for boot loader installation. It should be /dev/sda and click on continue.
Installation is complete, so you have to remove your bootable device USB or DVD from your machine and restart your computer. And get ready for the new system.
Now your Kali Linux installation is complete without any error. If you get any error please give us a comment below.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER
- This article was written only for educational purposes.
- The author can not be held any responsibility for damage caused by the use of these resources.
- You will not use this information to gain unauthorized access or any other legal activity.
Read also Disclaimer
If you are using any illegal activities using these techniques kalilinuxtutorial.com can’t hold any responsibility for your action.
This blog only for educational purposes where you will learn about Kali Linux how it works and how you can install any tools in Kali Linux.
If you have any questions about this article, any feedback, suggestions, or if you want to share your thoughts, please feel free to comment below.
If you want to speak with us directly you can Contact Us.